Sunday, April 21, 2013

Personal Learning

While reading about learning and learning theories I thought that I was a visual learner. However, I discovered that my way of learning consisted of  a combination of  behaviorism, cognitivism and constructivism.
Behaviorism- I am learning by doing on this course because I have to practice to acquire the skills associated with online learning. I also need to set out clear objectives in order to regulate my learning. for example blogging and creating a mind map.
Cognitivism-When I read the instructions on how to do an activity (creating a mind map) I think of something simple (brainstorming) to which I can relate then build on it.
Constructivism- This theory emphasizes the "integrated curriculum"(Laureate Education, Inc.,Custom Edition) which consists of taking a topic and working with it in all the disciplines-math and art just to name a few. For me integration is identifying objects and ideas that can be related to the topic. For example, to understand the "internet of things" (Horizon Report 2012) I look at the way threads are weaved together to make cloth and construct meaning from there.

There is no learning preference that I have, but I do see learning as a process through which I:
  • relate my experiences to new concepts in order to gain understanding.
  • not only know what I am doing but also why I am doing what I am doing
  • actively engage myself in an activity that has the potential to either change my perspective or confirm my original suppositions.

Subsequently, I am becoming a reflective learner where I spend time thinking over what I have done, accepting both positive and negative feedback. Then I use the insight to modify my thinking. I may have strong feelings about something but in light of the feedback I try to strike a balance.

I must say that technology has played a big role in my learning because I has allowed me to acquire more information on learning theories, and re-examine some ideas. I used it as a medium to develop informal learning.For example googlechat.
However, there is very much more that I still do not know, such as the skills for using internet applications and acquiring technical skills that can be applied in different settings.

No comments:

Post a Comment