Sunday, April 7, 2013

Connectivism (cont'd) Reflection

Since I am new to online learning (the present program being my first experience) I am now getting aquainted with the digital tools that are available to support my learning. That is no to say I did not know about them, I did, but never gave them more than a cursory glance. My focus was the New York Times news paper, journals, books and other paper media. Now that I am a Walden online student it is in my interest to become involved in the technology that is there for the taking.

These different networks lessened my trips to the library to access information, but increased my  purchase of ink and paper for my printer. I find it difficult to read on the computer screen. There is no way for me to highlight what is important or make notes on the page. In addition, the light on the monitor  makes me feel sleepy (and yes I have screen saver). The networks have also been instrumental in broadening my experiences and continually challenging my thinking.

Consequently, I am more informed about my professional responsibilities towards my students because the contributions of others offer something of value to me. I connect with others by reading their posts and responding to their ideas which may or may not correspond with  mine.However, the connections I make and the  contributions which I offer build much needed relationships.

Presently, there is no specific digital tool that facilitates learning for me. Nor have I built a  personal learning network as yet. I am now navigating my way through the rushing technological waters (hope I can swim) but, I like the blog, the educator's face book page and linkedIn.

These networks have much to contribute to my knowledge base. However, if, as connectivism postulates, the information today may be of no use tomorrow, then I have no foundation to stand on, nothing that drives my beliefs on education, which in turn negates any possibility of my being able to construct a philosophy of education and on and on. The ripple effect would be disastrous to me as an educator and more importantly as a learner







No comments:

Post a Comment